We cover a range of topics on the AMSOIL blog, but our most widely read and commented-on post is the one about engine-flush products. People have several questions about the effectiveness and suitability of AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (FLSH) for their vehicles. We will address the top questions here.
What Is AMSOIL Engine And Transmission Flush?
It’s a detergent-based additive designed to clean deposits and sludge from your engine. While motor oils contain detergents that help keep the engine clean, the formulation must also contain anti-wear, oxidation-inhibitor and other additives, limiting room for detergents. AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush, however, is designed solely to clean, and therefore packs a more potent cleaning punch.
What Are Its Benefits?
- AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush prepares your engine for new oil: Engine and Transmission Flush helps loosen sticky valves or piston rings and remove harmful sludge and other contaminants. Cleaning the engine prior to installing fresh oil ensures the new oil functions as intended and delivers maximum protection. The oil won’t last as long or protect as well if it must contend with sludge and deposits from the previous oil.
- AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush helps increase fuel efficiency: Contaminants circulating throughout the engine can lead to oil breakdown
and increased viscosity – and higher-viscosity oil requires more energy to circulate throughout the engine. Sludge and deposits on engine parts can also increase resistance, which wastes fuel. Cleaning the engine helps ensure parts move efficiently, maximizing fuel economy.
- AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush helps reduce oil consumption: If deposits in the piston-ring lands cause the rings to stick, oil can migrate into the combustion chamber, where it burns. This not only leads to harmful deposits, it also increases exhaust emissions as the burned oil exits the tailpipe. Engine and Transmission Flush helps free stuck rings and reduce oil consumption, in turn reducing emissions.
- AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush helps reduce heat: Extreme heat reduces engine efficiency while increasing the rate at which the oil oxidizes (chemically breaks down). Sludge and deposits act as insulators that prevent the engine from dissipating heat as designed. Flushing your engine helps ensure it manages heat properly for optimum efficiency and oil life.
- Convenience: You can safely use AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush in gas or diesel engines and automatic transmissions. And, while some solvent-based flush products require a cumbersome disposal process, Engine and Transmission Flush uses a detergent-based formulation allowing easy disposal with waste oil.
Can Flushing An Engine Or Transmission Create Leaks?
This is a common question. There’s a good deal of misinformation surrounding engine-flush products, which likely explains its origin.
In old, poorly maintained engines, time and neglect can cause seals to wear out, dry and crack. If using a low-quality oil, sludge and deposits can form that cover the seals, like Spackle* covering cracked plaster. This veneer of deposits papers over the worn seals and helps prevent them from leaking.
Flushing the engine dissolves the deposits and reveals the true nature of the seals, which can create a leak. The motorist then associates the engine flush with a fluid leak. In reality, the seals were already bad; the flush simply revealed their true condition.
If you suspect a vehicle falls into this camp, it’s best to leave well enough alone and skip the engine flush. While Engine and Transmission Fluid won’t cause leaks, you, the customer, must choose between sludge and deposits robbing engine performance or the seals showing their true condition.
Is Flushing The Engine Necessary?
It depends on vehicle condition and maintenance practices. For customers who have used AMSOIL synthetic motor oil exclusively, flushing the engine prior to an oil change won’t provide as noticeable a benefit as if they had been using a low-quality oil. However, flushing the engine before each oil change ensures they derive the greatest benefits from the new oil. AMSOIL synthetic motor oil contains potent detergent additives that help keep
If you want to flush your engine regardless, AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush is perfectly safe to use in this scenario.
In vehicles with a suspect maintenance history switching to AMSOIL products for the first time, it’s a good idea to give the engine a fresh start prior to installing new oil. However, it’s not required. Doing so helps ensure you get maximum benefit from the oil.
Is AMSOIL Engine And Transmission Flush Safe?
Some motorists fear that flushing their engines or transmissions may loosen large chunks of debris that end up clogging narrow passages or the filter. Engine and Transmission Flush cleans at the molecular level, ensuring
deposits dissolve and properly exit the engine or transmission with the oil when it’s drained. It’s perfectly safe to use.
How Do I Use AMSOIL Engine And Transmission Flush?
To flush the engine, add the entire bottle to the fill port and idle the engine for 10-15 minutes. Immediately drain the oil. Replace the oil filter and refill with new oil.
To flush an automatic transmission, add the entire bottle to the fill port and idle the engine for 10-15 minutes, shifting through drive and reverse. Do not place the vehicle under heavy load. Drain all the fluid, including from the torque converter, replace the filter and add new fluid. We don’t recommend flushing a transmission without a removable pan or filter access.
For video instructions on flushing an engine, check out the AMSOIL Tech Tips at YouTube.
How well does Engine and Transmission Flush work?
For more information or pricing on the quality line of AMSOIL Products contact SLS Associates. We will answer your questions and you take it from there. If you choose to try AMSOIL products we will give you our best price and you make the decision. No pressure. It’s your choice.
Click Here if you would like to browse the current AMSOIL Catalog